Modern life is fast paced and is very hectic. There are so many things that could be going on at the same time that your attention couldn’t be focused for long. But take the time out now and answer a simple question. Do you think for yourself?
It is quite a simple question, but the answer isn’t so easy to come by. You would need to do some serious introspection in order for you to figure out the answer. Are you the one making the decision for yourself or not?
You might be confident and say right away that you are quite sure that you make your own decisions. But how can you be so sure? Making your own decisions mean that you do not imitate the decisions of other people and that you think critically and consciously for each decision that you make. Sometimes a person might think that he is deciding for himself when in fact he is just following the word and guidance of other people which is never a good thing.
The Question of Influence
It is okay to consider what other people think, but one should not just blindly follow the path of others. That would not be the smart way of making decisions. What if the other person has made a mistake in the decision making process? Then you would blindly following and committing the same mistake. There is no problem when it comes to being influenced by other people. It is okay to think of what others have done in the same situation that you are in, but you should subject other people’s influence on you to critical thinking first. That is the only way that you will be able to think for yourself critically.
Tips for Critical Thinking
Here are some tips that you can follow so that you can become critical thinkers on your own:
- The first thing that you have to do is to develop a sense of yourself. The reason why you are so easily influenced is because your sense of self is not that strong yet. That means other people with stronger personalities can influence the way that you think.
- You have to become well informed on whatever it is that you have to make a decision on. That’s the only way that you can make an intelligent move about it.
- Try to find a solution from as many sources as possible. You have to be open-minded about the way that you search.
- Try to forget about your biases. You would always have some form of cultural bias and that is inevitable based on where you were brought up, but you should try to go above that so you can make an intelligent decision.
- Do not give in under pressure and just make a blind decision. You have to know how to handle pressure from the inside and out.
Those are the things that you can do so that you can start thinking critically for yourself. You have to remember those moves from now on.